Edward Andersson, Deputy Director of Involve, a UK-based civic engagement advocacy organization, has very concisely identified 5 signs of a failing public engagement effort.
The stakes are high in the coming years; good engagement will be crucial, and bad engagement will be devastating. In my view badly designed engagement is a fantastic way to waste money and turn relationships with stakeholders and citizens sour as an added bonus.
The situations that indicate bad public engagement?
- When the answer doesn’t matter (because a decision has already been made)
- When you already know the answer (a technical question with a clear answer)
- When you don’t want to know the answer
- When the people you are asking don’t know the answer
- When people don’t care what the answer it
It’s a good list – you can read more details here.